On 14 August 2012 I came to study in Business
Academy Copenhagen North, located in Lyngby in the northern part of
Sjælland(Zealand), 10 km. away from the center of the Danish capital. I
had the language problems even from the first days - while applying for
accommodation, some landlords didn't appericiate the fact I learned
Danish putting me the label "English speaking" and rejecting my
application. In the shops the people spoke English as well, there were
even such people, starting talking in English or changing before I
opened the mouth! In Statoil I bought something the cashier told me the
amount in Danish and while trying to pay with the card, he said "the
other way". Another interesting fact is that the ATMs and all other pay-authomats ask the person "Indlæs kort"(Insert a card) and when I put my Bulgarian card, the next message is "Please, wait!" WHAT THE HELL! At the beginning I didn't understand people well, since they are talking really fast and swallowing half of the words. With the time each time I got what one said or I spoke something getting understood, I was really happy and this helped me to go on with the language. On 27 September 2012 I went on walk to see some facilities in my city and the people spoke me only in Danish. They either thought I understand them, or didn't care at all, or realized I am non-native, but wanted to help me. At least I was one step forward! Their way of speaking didn't look me so fast and non understandable any more. By the time I realized which are the main points on the way to good Danish:
1) Be confident - thinking less about the right word make your speech clear and people normally react in Danish. If you know the person knows Danish and (s)he switches to English with you, carry simply on with Danish, underline the fact which language you prefer to speak or say you don't understand English - then (s)he has no other chance :)
2) Speak as fast as possible, clear and loud! Speak up! - people have less time to think whether you are native speaker or not - they just react.
3) Practise as far as possible from the Copenhagen center.- in the city center you have greater chance to meet "English speaking" people, who aren't likely to speak Danish
Ingen kommentarer:
Send en kommentar