fredag den 19. oktober 2012
I AM IN DENMARK, BUT..
"I am in Denmark, the official language is Danish, I have some knowledge, so I'll talk with the people in Danish, won't I?"This is a good, but not really retorical question. If you are in Denmark, it's not so easy to start a Danish course, especially when you aren't starting from the zero, because of the huge waiting lists and the complex procedures connected with the municipality. If you have some knowledge in the Danish language, it's not so easy as a lot of other languages like German. In Germany, even with bad language, you'll professionalize in a month or two, but for Denmark you need a lot of confidence, a lot of patience and great power to interact with the people in Danish. The reason is that they are not likely to speak Danish with foreigners, the "English speaking rest of the world." When they hear their language told by non-native speaker, they think that this person knows English and they answer immediately in English. So rude, isn't it? Of course, I'll never do like this. When I hear someone in Bulgaria talking my mother language, I'll answer in Bulgarian, because of the simply reason I'm in Bulgaria with official language Bulgarian. I'll know also this person has spent some time to learn this complex language and no matter for short or long term he is staying here, he wants to be part of the society and culture. Here there is no such way of thinking. You'd get either response in English, or stupid face. A lot of people are complaining the people are switching back to Danish even in multicultural environment. Come on, are you willing to speak any other language than your mother tongue with someone from your home country? I never do it!
Etiketter:
My way to Danish
Abonner på:
Kommentarer til indlægget (Atom)
Ingen kommentarer:
Send en kommentar